The first of the Ten Thousand

 

Horus Heresy Custodes
The first of the Ten Thousand


I have finally finished my first Custodian Guard squad after an age plucking up the courage - or acquiring the skill - to paint the Dark Art Miniatures Imperial Palace bases I knew I wanted them on.  Only when I was comfortable painting the bases was I ready to work on a paint scheme for the Custodes themselves.  I knew I wanted a more bronze Spartan-style armour than the traditional gold colour scheme but I didn't know how to achieve it.  In the end, after a lot of experimentation, I found the scheme I wanted.

Legio Custodes
The Dark Art Miniatures' Imperial Palace Bases are perfect for the Legio Custodes

For the armour:

  1. Base coat Retributor Gold (this comes out surprisingly well from the airbrush if thinned sufficiently; I was very pleasantly surprised)
  2. Wash with the classic mix of Nuln Oil Gloss and Agrax Earthshade Matt.  This is to provide the contrast.
  3. Wash with Reikland Fleshshade (Matt).  The aim here is to glaze the model as much as it is to provide contrast.
  4. Dry brush a zenithal highlight with Scale 75 Dwarven Gold.  This is the first time I've used a paint other than from Citadel.
  5. Wash with a mix of Druchii Violet and Seraphim Sepia.  This adds a bronze hue.
  6. Highlight with a 50:50 mix of Stormhost silver and Scale 75 Dwarven Gold


Legio Custodes


Comments

Popular Posts