Spartans, prepare for glory: reinforcements for the VIIth Legion

It has been about a year now since I started painting the Imperial Fists, and I am slowly working my way up to 3500 points.  I still have a way to go, but the latest addition is a Spartan, which will be the perfect ride for Alexis Polux and his terminators with vigil-pattern storm shields.  I would love to have a Thunderhawk (the Aetos Dios), and it would fit the narrative, but I'm not so keen on flyers and not just because of wobbly base problems.

Imperial Fists Spartan
Just fill with terminators and point at the enemy

One thing I learned from the Ultramarines' Spartan I painted is that it is a bit of a handful to paint whole, so I painted it in sections: the body and the two sides (as well as keeping the lascannons separate, obviously).  That worked much better, and it meant it wasn't as scary to paint.  I am also happy with the paint scheme and am satisfied that I have achieved the right balance of Black Templar metal and yellow. I think 100% yellow would be overwhelming and the black contrasts well with the yellow, while still making it obvious that this is an Imperial Fists' vehicle.  As always the decals are very important in finishing the look and emphasizing that it belongs to the VIIth Legion.


Spartan Assault Tank
Keeping to the metallic black and yellow paint scheme

The tracks were painted with leadbelcher and then a wash of Nuln oil and Agrax Earthshade, before having Armageddon dust painted into the gaps between the rivets.  This was washed with Agrax Earthshade, and the tracks and underside sprayed with a thin coat of steel legion drab, to give them a dusty look.

I am looking forward to using this in anger before too long, but I have some more heavy support to finish first.


Comments

Popular Posts