Iron Warriors Rhino Test model

Iron Warriors Rhino


For the Winter I have a box of tanks - a Spartan, two Termites, two Basilisks and two quad mortars - primed and base coated in Leadbelcher, ready to be painted for the Iron Warriors.  Whilst I am meant to be painting scenery, I had some thoughts how to paint the vehicles and I thought it would be a good idea to test them not on a Spartan but on something more manageable, like a Rhino, where it wouldn't matter if I got things wrong (with two termites at their disposal, why would the 31st Grand Company choose to ride in a Rhino?).

Iron Warriors Rhino

I don't have an airbrush on account of living in one of the most densely populated cities in the world: no room for a dedicated workshop and it would be too noisy.  Therefore I rely on the spray cans to get an even base coat quickly, and then revert to brushes.  I also don't like varnishing (because I've had plenty of bad experiences with the spray cans of matte varnish), so I don't do pin washes and the like.  And I don't much like weathering powders (again another unpleasant surprise once); instead I resort to drybrushing.  So, understandably I approached this project with some trepidation.


30k Rhino

On the whole I'm pretty pleased with the results; so much so that I'm wondering if I should assemble and paint an Ultramarines' rhino.  I'm particularly pleased with the tank tracks and the modest rust effects.  Another experiment I wanted to undertake was with an initial glaze.  The spray cans of Leadbelcher are noticeably more shiny than the pots of paint.  I normally remedy that with my mix of Nuln Oil and Agrax Earthshade, but applying a shade to a vehicle would just result in pooling on the flat surfaces.  So instead, I watered down the 1:1 mix of Nuln Oil and Agrax Earthshade to get more of a glaze, which I then applied to all the surfaces.  It worked quite well, but I probably shouldn't have used a wash brush; instead I should have used a base brush, or something like it.

Horus Heresy Rhino

For the tank tracks and general mud effects I did the following:

  1. Undercoat the tracks black.
  2. Base coat the tracks Steel Legion Drab.
  3. Create a wash of Dryad Bark and Lahmian Medium, and paint down the middle of the tracks in a haphazard fashion.  Dryad bark is the colour of the Stirland mud texture paints.
  4. Apply Stirland Battlemire haphazardly down the centre of the tracks.
  5. Paint the wheels Steel Legion Drab. 
  6. Apply a heavy all-over wash of Agrax Earthshade to the tracks and wheels.
  7. Drybrush Steel Legion Drab to the vehicle where mud would splatter and dry, and also to the edges of the tracks.
  8. Finally use a drybrush to dab Dryad Bark onto the very edges of the vehicle where fresh mud would collect and also the wheels.



Comments

Popular Posts